If you think I post a lot of travel news and links, wait till you read Mike’s Vagabondish blog. He shares my fascination with odd/funny/weird/interesting travel news.
There’s that post about a plane getting hit by lightning and the pilot who taped his scalp back on after surving a plane crash. He also shares interesting links, like this one site that shows real time world statistics (it’s mind boggling, I tell you), and a site that shows how the world would look like without man.
He also shares great travel tips, specially for backpackers who are planning for their round the world trip. There’s his entry about fighting malaria without medication, and a link to GoBudgetTravel’s Budget Travel Costs of 94 Cities around the World. A great resource for everyone who’s planning a trip anytime soon.
My favorite though is the entry Travelers Who Shouldn’t: Traveler Comments That Make You Say “Duh!” That list of comments is a killer!
- What language do they speak in England? (Swahili. Would you like to purchase our “Learn Swahili in 10 Easy Steps” manual?)
- The hotel would have been fine but all the employees were speaking Spanish. (The next time you are in Mexico, we will order some French-speaking Mexicans for your convenience.)
- Does the water go all the way around this island? (Not on Tuesdays.)
- Is this a wide-body plane? (Yes.) Good, because my mother has a big butt. (I imagine this was followed by a swift upper cut.)
- Do you know what time the midnight buffet starts? (They are cutting costs, so now it is offered between 4:30 a.m. and 4:35 a.m.)
- Will the 24-hour café be open if I need to get a bite at 6 a.m.? (Ask the woman in line for the midnight buffet.)
Ah, humans. Such funny creatures.